Tuesday, January 18, 2011

365 Jobs, Day 18 -- Frida Kahlo on Drugs

Cross-posted from my new blog, 365 Jobs:

Wednesday, January 18, 1995

Justine is an artist with big dangling earrings and a gypsy rag around her hair.  An attractive woman, thirtyish, with a dimpled smile, she bought a wreck of an old house in La Honda and simply maintains it - that is, she hires me to maintain it, calling me frequently to replace a faucet washer or clean a gutter. 

We joke a lot.  I tell her that her paintings look like what would happen if Frida Kahlo dropped acid.  She laughs.  "That'll be my epitaph: Frida Kahlo on drugs."

 As I work today, she's painting what appears to be a naked woman with a red body undergoing an abortion performed by lizards. 

I'm a licensed General Contractor, insured and bonded, charging my full professional rate.  My job today is to hang a curtain rod, mend a door latch, replace a light bulb.  I tell her, "You should get a husband or at least a boyfriend, Justine.  This is honey-do stuff.  Think of all the money you'd save."

"You're expensive."  She stabs black paint at her canvas.  "But you're cheaper than keeping a man around the house.  And you're a lot less trouble."

No comments:

Post a Comment